Winter is always a special time. Some people just can’t stand the cold, the incessant rain ( or snow if you are lucky enough to have escaped climate change ). But for me, it is different as I just love reading.
While leaving my parents house after New Year’s Day I took my dad’s omnibus book of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories of Sherlock Holmes. (with his permission, don’t worry)
I indeed never had read the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes. The last rainy Sundays afternoon were the occasion…
Out of the 56 short stories featuring the most famous fictional detective, I have read the first twelve that are making The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
For a first book of a series, I have to say I quite enjoyed myself. The original illustrations by Sidney Paget are a nice touch as it had been a long while since I have read books with illustration 😛
I however stopped reading after this as I didn’t want to spoil myself.
Here is a rundown of the stories (links will bring you to Wikipedia pages) :
- “A Scandal in Bohemia“
- “The Adventure of the Red-Headed League“
- “A Case of Identity“
- “The Boscombe Valley Mystery“
- “The Five Orange Pips“
- “The Man with the Twisted Lip“
- “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle“
- “The Adventure of the Speckled Band“
- “The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb“
- “The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor“
- “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet“
- “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches“